A safe and effective dose of this product has not been established. Skullcap is available in several different forms (such as extracts and teas), and the dosing directions may vary for different products. Be sure to follow the specific instructions on your particular product.
(Click Skullcap Dosage for more information.)
Many people believe that natural products, such as skullcap, have no side effects. However, many natural products cause side effects, some of which can be quite serious. Skullcap can cause side effects, such as:
- Confusion or slow mental functioning
- Liver damage.
(Click Skullcap Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)
It is not known whether skullcap interacts with other medications or supplements (see Skullcap Drug Interactions).
Some people may be more likely to experience problems due to this skullcap. Therefore, you should talk with your healthcare provider before taking it if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Skullcap and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Skullcap and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Skullcap Safety for more information, including any available skullcap warnings and precautions.)