Your healthcare provider will determine your Silenor dosage based on several factors, such as other medical conditions you have and other medications you are taking. When treating insomnia, the typical dosing is Silenor 6 mg, which is taken within 30 minutes of bedtime. Do not take this medication within three hours of a meal.
An Introduction to Dosing for SilenorThe dose of Silenor® (doxepin tablets) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Silenor
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Silenor Dosage for InsomniaThe recommended starting Silenor dose for insomnia treatment in adults is Silenor 6 mg, taken within 30 minutes of bedtime. If necessary, your healthcare provider may decrease your dosage to 3 mg.
The standard dose of Silenor for elderly individuals (65 years old and older), who may be more sensitive to the effects of the drug, is 3 mg within 30 minutes of bedtime (with a dosage increase to 6 mg, if necessary). Also, people with liver problems should generally be started at the 3-mg dose.
For people taking cimetidine (Tagamet®), the maximum recommended dose is Silenor 3 mg, as cimetidine increases the level of Silenor in the blood.
General Information on Taking SilenorSome considerations for people taking Silenor include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, within 30 minutes of bedtime.
- Do not take this medication within three hours of a meal. Food affects the way the body handles the medication. If you do take Silenor close to a meal, it will take longer to work and may result in more next-day drowsiness.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Silenor dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.