For most people, the recommended Restoril dosage for treating insomnia is 15 mg, taken at bedtime just before trying to go to sleep. Factors that will affect your Restoril dosing include your age and whether you have other medical conditions. It's important to remember that Restoril is not intended for use beyond seven to ten days.
An Introduction to Restoril DosingThe dose of Restoril® (temazepam) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your age.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Restoril dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Restoril Dosing for InsomniaThe recommended dose of Restoril when treating insomnia is usually Restoril 15 mg at bedtime (taken just before trying to go to sleep). For elderly people or people with other medical problems, the recommended dose is lower -- Restoril 7.5 mg at bedtime.
It is important to remember that Restoril is intended only for short-term use. Use beyond seven to ten days is usually considered inappropriate.
General Information on Dosing With RestorilConsiderations for people taking Restoril include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth at bedtime.
- Take Restoril just before you are ready to fall asleep, as it can work rather quickly.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If Restoril bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Restoril may cause serious problems if you take it at higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see Restoril Abuse).