Insomnia Home > Sonata Side Effects
Dizziness, headache, and nausea are some of the more common side effects seen with Sonata. Problems that are less common (occurring in less than 1 percent of patients) include weight gain, high blood pressure, and erectile dysfunction. It is important to report serious side effects -- such as strange behavior, depression, hallucinations, and chest pain -- to your healthcare provider immediately.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Sonata® (zaleplon). However, not everyone who takes Sonata will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the drug well. When side effects do occur, they are generally minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(The Sonata side effects discussed below are not a complete list of side effects reported with this drug. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Sonata side effects with you.)
Sonata has been studied extensively in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects occurring in the group of people taking the drug are always documented and compared to the side effects that occur in a similar group of people not taking the medicine. Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Sonata include:
- Headache -- up to 42 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 8 percent
- Weakness -- up to 7 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 6 percent
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- up to 6 percent
- Menstrual pain -- up to 4 percent
- Memory problems (amnesia) -- up to 4 percent (see Sonata and Amnesia).
Other Sonata side effects (occurring in more than 1 percent of people) include, but are not limited to:
- Dry mouth
- Unusual sensations (such as tingling or pricking)
- Increased sensitivity to sounds, smells, or touch
- Eye pain or vision changes
- Tremor or shakiness
- Loss of appetite
- Spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Sensitivity to the effects of the sun
- Fluid retention, especially in the arms or legs
- Migraine headaches.