Insomnia Home > Ambien Dosage
Depending on your age, your sex, and other factors, your starting dose of Ambien will probably be between 5 mg and 10 mg. Ambien is generally only used for one to two days, and treatment should not exceed one to two weeks.
- Your age
- Your sex
- Other medical conditions you may have (see Ambien Precautions and Warnings)
- Other medications you may be currently taking (see Ambien Drug Interactions).
- The medication should be taken right before you go to bed.
- Your Ambien dosage should be taken without food.
- Ambien works quickly; make sure that you are ready for sleep before taking it. Do not take the drug before driving or performing any tasks that require concentration.
- For Ambien to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- In general, Ambien is used for only one to two days. It should not be used for more than one to two weeks. If you are still having trouble sleeping after this time, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Ambien dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.