The specific dosage of Intermezzo you receive will depend on factors such as your age, your sex, and other medical conditions you may have. The recommended amount for treating middle-of-the-night awakening is typically 3.5 mg for men and 1.75 mg for women. Do not take more than one dose a night. The medicine will work quicker if you take it without food.
An Introduction to Dosing With IntermezzoThe dose of Intermezzo® (zolpidem sublingual tablet) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your sex (women need a lower dose, compared to men)
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Intermezzo Dosage for InsomniaFor most people, the standard recommended dose of Intermezzo for middle-of-the-night awakenings is 3.5 mg for men and 1.75 mg for women, taken no more than once per night. The medication lasts longer in women's bodies, which is why a lower amount is recommended. Also, people who are over the age of 65 (men or women), people with liver disease, and people taking other medications that cause drowsiness (see Intermezzo Drug Interactions) should be started with a dosage of 1.75 mg no more than once a night.
General Information on Taking IntermezzoSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Intermezzo include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a sublingual tablet. It is dissolved under the tongue; do not swallow it whole. It is thought that this helps improve the absorption of the medication, making it work faster.
- Taking Intermezzo with or immediately after food will make the medication work more slowly.
- Do not take Intermezzo unless you can get at least four more hours of sleep before you must wake up.
- Keep the tablet in the pouch until just before use. Take the tablet while in bed, and leave the empty pouch on your nightstand or another spot where you will see it later. Sometimes, people who take sleep medications forget they have taken a dose because of the medication's effect on memory.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not increase your Intermezzo dosage without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Intermezzo dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist. If you have been taking Intermezzo for a long time, do not stop taking it without first talking to your healthcare provider.