When treating insomnia with estazolam, dosing usually starts at 1 mg at bedtime. The dosage may be lower for elderly people, those who are smaller, or people with other health concerns. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase the dose to 2 mg at bedtime. Do not take your estazolam dose in higher amounts or for longer periods of time than your healthcare provider recommends.
Estazolam Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of estazolam (ProSom®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your estazolam dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Estazolam Dosing for InsomniaFor most people, the recommended dose of estazolam for treating insomnia is 1 mg, taken at bedtime. The recommended starting dose for elderly people, people who are smaller, or people who have other health concerns is a little lower: 0.5 mg at bedtime. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 2 mg at bedtime.
General Information on Dosing With EstazolamConsiderations for people taking estazolam include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually at bedtime.
- Estazolam can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Estazolam may cause serious problems if you take it in higher dosages or for a longer period of time than your healthcare provider recommends (see ProSom Abuse).