Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Ambien comes in tablet form and is taken once a day, immediately before bedtime.
- It is recommended that you take your dose with a glass of water, not after a meal, and not with food.
- It works very quickly; make sure that you are ready for sleep before taking Ambien. Do not take it before driving or performing any tasks that require concentration.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- In general, the drug is used for only one to two days. It should not be used for more than one to two weeks. If you are still having trouble sleeping after one to two weeks, make sure to let your healthcare provider know.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your sex
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Ambien Dosage for more information.)