Ambien CR Dosage
Not everyone takes the same dosage of Ambien CR. Your healthcare provider will prescribe your dosage based on several factors, including your age, other medicines you are taking, and other medical conditions you may have. If you are taking other medicines that affect the brain, have liver disease, or are elderly, your healthcare provider may suggest a smaller dosage of Ambien CR.
The dose of Ambien CR™ (zolpidem tartrate extended-release tablets) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your sex
- Other medical conditions you may have (see Ambien CR Precautions and Warnings)
- Other medications you may be currently taking (see Ambien CR Drug Interactions).
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage of Ambien CR unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For women, the standard recommended dosage of Ambien CR is 6.25 mg, taken immediately before bed. For men, the recommended dosage is 6.25 mg or 12.5 mg at bedtime.
For people who are taking other medicines that affect the brain, have liver disease, or are elderly, the recommended starting dosage may be Ambien CR 6.25 mg.
Some considerations for people taking Ambien CR include:
- Your Ambien CR medication should be taken right before you go to bed.
- Your Ambien CR dosage should be taken without food.
- Ambien CR works very quickly. Make sure that you are ready for sleep before taking Ambien CR. Do not take Ambien CR before driving or performing any tasks that require concentration.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the Ambien CR tablets.
- For Ambien CR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Ambien CR will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are still having trouble sleeping after 7 to 10 days, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider, as this may be a sign that something else (such as a medical condition) may be causing your insomnia.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Ambien CR or your Ambien CR dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Ambien CR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.